Today is a red letter day, in a broadband sense. I decided a couple of weeks ago to switch my broadband and home phone from O2 to BT. BT made the switch relatively easy and simple and have kept me informed by phone, email and SMS since.
Until a couple of hours ago, all was well.
Then Khan called to say that my phone service commenced today and my broadband would be live on March 6th. Whoa! They were both to be live today. I am no longer a happy customer. The last two weeks good communications are now washed away. I can see only a week of inconvenience.
It’s not Khan’s fault, so I refrain from yelling at him. I am now not speaking to Khan, I am speaking to BT. I ask for an explanation but BT cannot give me one, except to say that a technical fault prevented them giving me broadband today. I probe further and am irritated by the lack of adequate explanation.
I outline my options
- I can accept the one week delay
- I can escalate this
- I can tell BT to cancel the whole thing and find another provider to sign up with
This last option is the equivalent of throwing my toy out of the pram, or lying on my back in the middle of the supermarket and drumming my heels on the floor. But I’m prepared to do it because…
- I think this situation was avoidable
- The explanation is weak
- The “technical fault” is a cover for “someone didn’t see that the order wasn’t progressing as it should through the system”
But then I asked two questions – “Khan, what can you do to improve this? What is the best you can do?” He promises to keep my order on his desk, expedite it in the system when the process allows, and call me back either tonight or tomorrow morning with an update. He expects I’ll be online within 48 hours. I told him that a call tomorrow to say that the service would still commence next week wasn’t acceptable.
Has Khan saved the day? I hope so. . Let’s see how the story goes…